The Harvest lighthouse keeper

23 August 2017

We’d love you to meet Kay, she’s our Director of Development and a lecturer at Harvest Bible College.

Which unit or subject are you teaching at Harvest?

My main area of teaching is in Spiritual Formation; units like/such as Formation of Self, Personal Goals and Spiritual Growth, and God’s Call Your Response. I also teach on teamwork and leadership, including Principles of Teamwork, Authentic Leadership, Leading a Ministry Team, and Emotional Intelligence and Productive Teams. I also teach some of our intercultural subjects including Crossing Cultures, and Introduction to Intercultural Ministry.

What led you to the field of your teaching/research?

As a Christian who has the privilege to lead and now to teach, I am deeply committed to seeing people grow in their relationship with God—no matter whether they have just come to Christ or have been a Christian for many years. It is critical that as students immerse themselves in biblical and theological study they also pay equal attention to the development of their relationship with Him. Graduates of Harvest need to be equipped with strong biblical and theological knowledge, excellent ministry skills, and a strong and growing relationship with God.

What do you like about the teaching you are doing?

It’s a privilege to watch students transform and grow as they apply what we teach to their lives. Keeping God and their relationship central as they study and seeing the outworking of this in their lives is inspiring and rewarding. My prayer is that what they put in place at Collegeprioritising their spiritual growth—will become lifelong disciplines that will enable them to flourish in the years ahead.

What’s your favourite quote?

‘Busyness is the enemy of spirituality. It is essentially laziness. It is doing the easy things instead of the hard thing. It is filling our time with our own actions instead of paying attention to God. It is taking charge’. (Eugene Peterson in Subversive Spirituality) I love this quote because it is so deeply challenging. I love what I do and so it is easy to be very busy doing many things. But am I doing what is most important—growing in authentic spirituality.

What are your favourite things to do at the weekend or on holiday?

My favourite things to do on the weekend are to immerse myself in a great book and, until very recently, try out one of Perth’s many excellent cafes or go for a walk along Perth’s exceptional beaches. I have just relocated back to Victoria so my new favourite things will be to watch some live AFL games at the MCG and catching up with friends and family. After almost eight years away from Melbourne, having lived and worked for Harvest in both Queensland and WA, there is lots of catching up to do!

Any interesting thing about yourself that you would like to share with us?

Two things: I have often thought being a lighthouse keeper would be an awesome job. All that solitude and nothing but the sound of the sea and the occasional passing ship to fill your days. Second, I love train travel and am fascinated by Russia, so have on my bucket list the trans-Siberian rail journey. I would love to complete a number of the great rail journeys of the world in the coming years.  Travelling across a nation/s by train enables you to see and connect with its heartbeat in a way that deepens your appreciation of its context and psyche that flying into a city from somewhere else can never provide.  We live in such an amazing world—it is so rich, vast, and diverse. There is so much to learn from each community, region, and nation. These lessons, though, can only be learned by slowing down enough to really see, really listen. I think that’s why the slower travel by train that keeps you connected physically to the world is so deeply appealing.

Photo by Joshua Hibbert. Cape Nelson Lighthouse, Portland, Australia.